Monday, October 19, 2009

Job and September 11

The last blog I wrote had to do with music. I talked about how everything was a vibration and everything was a song. I listed off countless, ad nauseum, examples about happy butterflies and skipping Keebler elves. Then I really started thinking. I really started thinking, really, really, really started thinking. Everything I listed was happy, merry, dreadfully cheery with a big ol' fat grin on its stupid face. But what about Job? What terrible song would his life echo? This great tragedy of a life. House destroyed, family dead, and a sad old Job, saying, "Why me?"

"Why me?" (Book of Job) by Einar Hákonarson
"Why me?" (Book of Job) by Einar Hákonarson

I can only imagine out of tune keys, a hunchback slamming on the piano, a violinist destroying his instrument on the asphalt. Everyone has had or will have something terrible happen. Everyone has out of tune keys, ugly pianos, and smashed violins in their lives.

Story. God seems to like these stories, no matter how terrible they are. If there ever was a tale of Job, it would be September 11, when our nation had a collective Job experience. Passions, hatred, sorrow, denial, it all came together that day. And we as a people either were led closer to God, or farther away from him. It makes you question Him. Does He exist? If He does exist, why does He let these terrible things happen? Why did so many people have to die (in the name of God, no less)? We shouted out collectively, like Job, "Why me?" One video I ran into is a perfect example of what most of us felt. The shock, the denial, the hate. It ends with, "Does God's Light Guide or Blind Us?" written in Arabic and English. You can feel the music in this, the tribal murmurings, the seething rage, the finishing serenade. Be aware, it's definitely not for the weak of heart.



This clip is from the Mexican director Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu. He is known in America for directing another movie, Babel.

No comments:

Post a Comment