Sunday, September 13, 2009

Question with boldness even the existence of a God

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

I was sitting in the living room, reading the bible. My feet were in the air, relaxed, book in hand, eyelids half-open... as my roommate watched television. I chuckled softly, then turned to him. "Hey, this passage is kinda funny. I always took the story of Abraham almost sacrificing his son as act of faith, instead it looks like it's an act of fear!" Now, this would have been fine with any run-of-the-mill English major. But my roommate is no English major. He rejects evolution, the big bang theory, believes Jonah was consumed by a whale, and takes the Bible as a history book. (Lord knows where he thinks dinosaur fossils come from.) Now, we all walk a fine line between faith and science. Why do we believe something? Is it because it's inherently good? Or has it been put into our minds by outside forces with an agenda? Would rejecting your world view make you change yourself in ways you could not fathom?

It is important to question boldly everything. from the dust on your desk to the stars in the sky to the very existence of God. And that means turning a critical eye even to the things you cherish the most. Nothing should be held sacred, held so holy that questions can no longer be asked. That BEGATS corruption and evil. And religion is no different.

When God tells a complying Abraham, "'Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God,'" (Genesis 22.12). Is this the story supreme faith I've been led to believe it is? Abraham has so much love and appreciation for God that he will sacrifice his favorite child? It appears the answer is no. Instead, it's because he's afraid of what God might do to him. For most people losing his or her child would be the worst thing, but not for Abraham? What is Abraham so scared of? Losing his land? His wife? His own life? Seems Abraham may actually be acting selfishly.

And I said this aloud... to my roommate.

Things got ugly. He eventually said, "Stop reading the Bible around me."

I said, "I thought you liked the Bible."

"But you question everything inside. You have no respect for the material."

And I will leave that crude thought to simmer inside your English major head.

No comments:

Post a Comment