Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Nephilim and the fallen angels

One verse in Genesis I found particularly fascinating:

"The Nephilim were on the earth in those days--and also afterward--when the sons of God went in to the daughters of humans, who bore children to them. These were the heroes of old, warriors of renown. (Genesis Chapter 6.4)

Upon first inspection, I assumed the "sons of God" were humans, but this seems to not be the case. The "sons of God" appear to be, instead, fallen angels. The Book of Enoch (a text left on the cutting room floor) goes into further detail about these "fallen angels" and their reign of terror on man. It is also interesting that this passage is directly before the story of the flood. Was the great storm intended to drown out angels and the "nephilim"?

Here's where I like to get conspiratorial. I love conspiracy. I love linking things together. I love making connections, finishing a sudoku, a puzzle, all that wonderful, aha! feelings! (I also like simple algebra... but obviously not too much, I'm here.) What if these "fallen angels" were one in the same with the pagan gods? And this line, "The Nephilim [offspring of fallen angels and human women] ... were the heroes of old, warriors of renown." How many hero epics are there that mix gods and humans together? What if the Hercules, Gilgamesh were real people? Apollo, Sirius, Dionysus, Horus, Marduk... what if they were all real.

And who doesn't love that flood disasters seem to echo around all ancient mythologies? My theory (assuming some sort of ancient flood is real) is that some sort of ancient warming caused the water levels to rise. (Mayhap causing Atlantis to sink in to the sea? mwahahahahaha. okay, I'm done with this.)

Genesis is actually really fun to read, surprisingly so. I find I can approach it from several different angles and still have a blast reading it. The first time I encountered most of this material (like most Biblical material) was on the History Channel, so it's kind of interesting reading it for myself and not from the mouth of some other dude. Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Such a puzzle seems to fit - fascinating how it all ties together with a little help from the book of Enoch.

    ReplyDelete